System Five supports reading the magnetic stripe on the back of some driver's licenses with a 2-track magnetic stripe reader (MSR). This can be used to verify the age of a customer, or to create or look up a customer.
The format is specified by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.
Which states have magnetic stripes?
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
Canadian Provinces also support Magnetic stripe technology.
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
Most US and Canadian driver's licenses have 2D barcodes on the back. System Five version 126.96.36.199 can support the reading of the 2D barcodes. See if your State or Province has been tested below. System Five also supports the PDF417 standard for driver's license scanning.
Tested United States
Tested Canadian Provinces
- British Columbia - the format is the same as a Magnetic Stripe.
Tested 2-D barcode Scanners
- Datalogic QuickScan QBT2400
- ms-6707 has not been confirmed as no setup article.
Configuration of 2-D barcode scanning Keyboard HID Mode
- You must use the Point of Sale Device manager, and open the Pos Device manager, which should be open in the Windows Tool Tray at the bottom right of your screen. Click on use Keyboard Wedge Scanner.
- Ensure that you are using WindwardKeyHookDLL.dll dated 2013/03/18 version 188.8.131.52. Note that some virus scanners may identify this program as a keyboard logger.
Configuration of 2-D barcode scanning HID Mode
- This mode requires configuration as an HID scanner, not a keyboard emulator. If your barcode scans into a notepad, then the device is configured as a keyboard emulator and needs to be configured as an HID scanner.
- You must use the Point of Sale Device manager, and open the Pos Device manager, which should be open in the Windows Tool Tray at the bottom right of your screen. Select HID tab and select the HID scanner from the drop-down list. If you are not sure which device it is, unplug it and see which one disappears off the list.
- This option is available in 184.108.40.206.
- Remote Desktop / Terminal Services will not port forward HID scanners.
Some states have 1D barcodes on the back which are being replaced by 2D or MSR.